This day was positively craptastic!! Since the big kids are at Holiday World with my parents and their cousins, I was set to have a kid free day. I actually had the same thing yesterday but yesterday was spent busting my butt trying to get house picked up, going grocery shopping and getting ALL the laundry done so that Thursday was all MINE. I had plans to do my Thursday long run and then scrapbook the day away. Well, that plan fell apart after I picked up the kids from preschool yesterday. They asked if I was planning on volunteering to drive and spend my free day at their field trip to Eagle Creek. I said "NO." Then I sort of got the impression they were less than happy with that response. It seemed that sense I had 3 children it might have been an issue of enough car space for all of them. I said right then that I would just keep them home since it seemed to be a problem. I had things to do and honestly the thought of entertaining not only my kids but other kids for my free day did not appeal to me. I was then told it would be fine. Since I pay for the preschool they couldn't say I had to volunteer to go on the field trip. Still on the drive home I got this HUGE guilt trip. I knew that if I sent them I would just feel bad all day and not enjoy myself. So I called the school and said I would not be bringing them. I did get a call back from Pastor Zane shortly thereafter once again telling me it would be fine if they came, but it was up to me. In my mind it was already decided, so I did not call back.
Fast forward to morning. I tried really hard to get out of bed at 5am to go for a 10 mile run before Clark got up for work. I think I made it as far as brushing my teeth but then just couldn't do it. It was still dark and I just read on Tuesday about this pregnant mother of 3 who was brutally murdered while running in Kentucky. Horrible story. She was running with her sister but started to feel bad so told her sister to go on and she turned back. Sometime on her way back she was attacked and killed. Kind of freaked me out so I decided not to go out in the dark. I got back in bed! Once the kids were up and I heard the "mommy" and phrases like, " I am going to tell..." more than I care to count, I knew the only way I was going to change my now sour mood (b/c I didn't get my scrapbook day I was looking forward to) was to go to the gym and get my run in. It really was in the best interests of my kids for me to do this...hahaha!
Things were going well. The triplets were excited b/c now that they are 5 they no longer have to go to the "baby" child watch area and instead get to go with the big kids. I was happy. They were happy. They knew that if they were good at the Y we would come home, eat lunch, go swimming and then go see Madagascar 3 at the theater. Drop off was easy. Nobody had to peel Ryan off me like normal. I started my run. Things were going well. I was a little bored but was keeping my eye on the prize. If I ran 10 miles, I could eat movie popcorn quilt free (as long as I ate healthy all the rest of the day). I am not kidding...I was visualizing that big bucket of popcorn while I ran. I finally got into a groove and then at 3.5 miles in this Y worker lady was coming up to me and telling me to stop. She said Adam had fallen and was bleeding. I thought oh no big deal I will just run down there reassure everyone that he is a tough boy and get back to my run. I didn't even take my stuff off the treadmill as I had plans to get right back on. I get to the child watch area and see him sitting there with an ice pack. Then the lady there says to me that they are trying to get a director to come there so that person can see if she thinks he needs stitches. Why this offended me I don't know b/c it is not like they have any clue what I do for a living. I simply said, "well I happen to be a pediatrician so I can look and decide if he needs stitches (the part going thru my head that I didn't say out loud was that I could do this much better than a YMCA director). Sure enough his mouth was a mess and yes in fact he needed stitches. His upper teeth were all jammed with bloody gums and they had gone all the way thru this lower gums to chin. Darn if they hadn't gone all the way thru we might have been okay (even if the inside cut was large and wide. I still might have let that ride). No he needed stitches. So we had 2 options. I could go to immediate care or take them to Dr. Dad. I gave Adam the option and he wanted to see daddy!
So we get to Clark's office. I think I have only ever stepped foot into that place on maybe 3 occasions if that and here they are getting to see me in running clothes that are all wet from sweat. Lovely impression. All the ladies in the waiting room gave me quite the look when I come walking in with 3 kids in tow. Luckily I didn't have to wait in the waiting room. We got put in a room and then the waiting game started. Obviously Clark did not plan on this and had a busy day of patients but geez the kids were getting impatient. Finally Clark comes walking in with 4-0 sutures. UMMMM....NO! I told Adam to get up we were leaving and that there was no way he was putting that big of a suture on my child's face. Where was the 6-0?? They didn't have any in the office so his surgery assistant ran down to OR and grabbed some 6-0. Of all my kids Adam was the only child who cried during KG shots. I knew this was not going to be easy. At first Clark thought somehow the two of us could manage. I said, "you are going to get some help in here." One nurse comes in to start. I was obviously going to have to hold his head b/c that part really needed to be still. The nurse was in charge of the legs. It was not enough people. Adam is tough and he was screaming and fighting and kicking this nurse (which I yelled at him for). No offense b/c in the end this all worked out but I don't think these nurses are used to having to hold down patients. I am used to working on moving targets. My nurses are incredibly skilled at holding down kids:) Clark was having a really hard time just getting the numbing meds in. Adam was hysterical. Screaming, screaming, screaming. Clark was flustered (which is hard to imagine). He kept stopping and letting Adam catch his breath. He even tried picking him up and reasoning with him. Basically my OBGYN husband was breaking rule number 1 of pediatrics. DO NOT TRY AND REASON WITH KIDS WHEN SHOTS ARE INVOLVED. This will only delay things and get you NO WHERE. I know if seems cruel but hold the kid down and just get it done. Finally another person came in to help and eventually after I kept saying the immediate care would have had this kids in a papoose and he would not be moving Clark figured we could do the same with a sheet. Good one honey! It worked. We made a burrito out of Adam and I held his head. It was still hard given where he was trying to get the numbing meds b/c Adam kept screaming. I can only imagine what the other patients must have been thinking. They probably thought they were in the wrong office or that there was no way they wanted Dr. B to touch them. Once the numbing medicine was in, Adam did stop moving so Clark could put two stitches on the outside and two on the inside. Mission accomplished. Way to go daddy. Adam quickly forgave him.
We really had no time to thank anyone in the office b/c I had 15 minutes to get to the dentist (who I called b/c Adam had loose teeth and a mouth trauma) and we were at least 18 minutes away. Yes mark it on the calendar but I was late for an appointment by 5 minutes. I did call and offer to reschedule but they told me to come anyway b/c Dr. Wells always fits in his mouth trauma cases. I yelled at plenty of cars in front of me trying to get them to move faster but nobody seemed to care and continued driving 15 miles under the speed limit. Dr. Wells brought Adam right back and after one quick look he said he wanted to get Xrays b/c he was sure he had knocked his teeth out of their socket and the top 4 may all need pulled. Whoa What?? Not what I was expecting to here. He took Xrays and then gave me some better news. Yes a few were knocked out of socket and one completely has no root so it will probably fall out soon but we were going to do a watch and wait plan instead of a yank 4 teeth out plan. I liked that much better. He did say he was worried another with much less root would get an abscess and in that case it would have to come out. He must have told me to call him at work or home right away several times if that happened. He also must not realize what I do for a living b/c he kept telling me that Clark could check for an abscess and would know. Then we went home. It was not even 1pm and I was already exhausted!!
I gave Adam some motrin for pain and he managed to even eat a little lunch. Then we went to the movies as planned. It was cute,but I think I actually fell asleep for a little bit. It held my kids attention and that for me is all that matters. I got to have my popcorn and now really hope I can attempt my 10 mile run again once Clark gets home.
And to think I was worried I would not have anything to blog about for a long time..........
No comments:
Post a Comment