These last few days have been full of a roller coaster of emotions. I started with emotions of great sadness and anger. On Thursday I learned that on Wednesday, the mom of one of Nick's friends (who was on both his house and All Star hockey team) had her life taken from her in the most senseless and ruthless random acts of violence. While at her place of employment someone went on a shooting rampage and this innocent wife and mother of 2 was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and was killed for no reason. I was shocked and completely heartbroken to hear this news. I first saw it on facebook with a link to the news article. Even after reading and recognizing the name, I was hoping I was still wrong. Alicia and I were facebook friends, and I quickly checked her profile and realized this horrible tragedy was in fact true. I can not even begin to imagine what her family is going through. My heart goes out to her children whose lives will be forever changed as a result of one strangers selfish act of rage. My heart breaks for her husband of 16 years (who was also Nick's house coach from last year). I am comforted by the fact that Alicia is in a better place and now looking over her children from afar. The All Star family will be going to the visitation tomorrow as a team to show our united support for this family. We will also be donating money to help pay for Thomas' All Star fees for next year. Please keep this family in your prayers.
On Friday my day started off with some much needed wonderful news. I was driving the boys to preschool and I received a text from one of our nurses and the wife of one of the guys who was part of the Cleveland crew 2 weeks ago. Her text said, "Water broke at 3am...apparently I'm getting a baby for my birthday." I was elated!! This made for such a fun day b/c while I wasn't at work I was included thanks to texting and we started placing bets on what time she would deliver. I had fun just following along while she labored. After speaking with her a day later she said her room sounded like a pin ball machine with all the texting going on. While my predicted time was way off (who knew she would be such a rock star and go from 4cm to baby in an hour) she delivered a beautiful baby boy. What an awesome birthday present for her. Her little one is deserving of some prayers just b/c he was 5weeks early, but he is in good hands, holding his own, and mom is doing great. I was very excited to get to stop by and see my nurse this morning. I had been warned that she might kill me if I stopped by and woke her up with my crazy early rounding so you can imagine my excitement when a nurse stopped me before going into another room and told me she was awake and said I could visit. Super excited for this family!!
So tomorrow the roller coaster continues. I will start my day visiting my nurse and sharing in her joy of a life just starting and later.... celebrate a mom whose life that was cut far too short.
No comments:
Post a Comment