Saturday, August 4, 2012

First Impressions of School

So we are two days into school and the first day excitement has worn off for some. Okay actually just one....Ryan. The first morning things went great. Kids got right up and were excited. When they got home they were all frustrated with me b/c I had 5 kids all wanting my attention and all talking at once. It was hard to follow what anyone was saying. Basically I could tell they all had a good day. Everyone likes their teachers. Nobody got lost. I don't think anyone cried (at least I wasn't told about about anyone crying). I definitely get the most info out of Alexis who would be willing to give me a second by second replay of the entire day if I wanted. Basically she is in Heaven. She loves school. She loves seeing her friends and being a little social butterfly.

Moving on to day number 2. The morning routine was much harder the second day. Ryan from the get go was whining that he was "NOT" going to school b/c he didn't want to go to library. It was a struggle just to get him out of his bed. Then I got to argue with him over whether or not he was going to eat breakfast. He insisted he was not. Considering he is in the only KG class that does not have a snack, I really could not allow him to go without eating something. Finally, I managed to get him to eat. Luckily the rest of the kids behaved so we managed to get all necessary stuff done and get to the bus stop with time to spare. During meet the teacher night I remember Adam's teacher telling us to expect the kids to be tired and cranky at first. That was an understatement for how my kids were once they got off the bus. Since Alexis was already late for gymnastics (b/c she is the only one on her team already in school so practice times are still on summer schedule) we had to jump in the car and leave from the bus stop. This started Landon's meltdown b/c I would not take him home for his Ipod. Then Ryan just whined and complained to no end for what felt like forever. Even Adam at one point burst into tears/tantrum b/c while riding in the car something fell off his lap. Ryan said school was boring and he didn't like it. Adam and Landon didn't give me much detail but sounds like overall things went fine. Alexis is still loving every minute and has been perfect from a behavior standpoint. In fact, she has given herself an earlier bedtime and has this list of rules for herself (like shower daily, read before bed, pick out clothes, etc etc). Nick who is old enough not to be all that excited for school is actually enjoying himself although he would never admit to that. I can just tell based on the stories he tells me. He really likes his teacher. I could have told you after the meet the teacher night that he would. I don't know his teacher really, but he did mention he is a runner, and that alone can make me like someone...hahaha!

In the kids words when just asked what they thought about school:
Nick: I like school I guess.
Alexis: AMAZING! I LOVE IT! I have the nicest teacher ever (when I told her she says that every year she said, "doesn't matter.")
Adam: I like going outside (aka recess). I like school work. I like snack time.
Landon: My favorite is playing in centers. My second favorite is outside. My third favorite is drawing pictures. Then all the rest I like a little.
Ryan: My first favorite is playground. My second is playing with computer. Third playing in centers. My last (aka least) favorite is gym and library.

While picking up Alexis at gymnastics we saw Adam's teacher at the InterActive Academy. Adam just thought this was the coolest thing ever. His teacher was also surprised to find someone from Brownsburg in Zionsville. I talked to her for a long time. She seems like the sweetest person ever. I am glad she is coming back at the start of the new year after she has her baby. After gymnastics we had to go directly to Bible study. At this point I was just tired of listening to whining kids. My Ryan caused the most trouble of all the kids at Bible study. He pushed Stephanie's son off the top bunk of his bed. Yep he got in trouble. By the end of the night as I was walking out people were just telling me they were praying for me. It is true that some days I need lots of prayer that I have the patience to deal with all my kids.  I hate when Clark is out of town, and there is no doubt I could never survive as a single mother. I was pleasantly surprised to find a box on my porch containing my new running shoes when we got home at 10pm.  It was just what I needed to end my night on a good note. They were not even supposed to be available until mid month so getting them early made me very happy.

Clark sounds like he is having a great time in Colorado. I haven't talked to him much b/c I am busy, but he keeps texting me telling me how pretty it is and how he wishes I was there.  I am thrilled he is having a great time but if he sends me another picture of a beautiful calm peaceful looking scenery I might scream! His bike race was/is today. I don't know when he was starting or even how far he was going. If I had to guess I would say 80 miles. I assume he will text once he is done. Speak of the devil. I just (like right now) got a text saying, "Near end of ride just before last big hill. Overall going well. I love you."  So there you have it. He is doing fine! He owes me some kid free time.............

As for my training...I am still running. This past week was a taper week so here is how it played out.
Sunday: 11.9 (hooked up with a group of friends. Ran 6 miles with Keith and Shane. Another 2 miles with Keith. Ran 2 miles by myself. Ran a couple more with Carrie and Aimee).
Monday: Sick sick sick. No running
Tuesday: Always a rest day
Wed: 9 miles on Tmill at gym
Thursday: 13 on T mill at gym. Jaime is out of town o/w I would have been on the monon. I didn't run outside b/c garmin was dead and although I thought I charged my new iPod shuffle it did not work. Was not running without music.
Friday: Bike one hour
Saturday (today): hoping to take the kids to Depot so I can run 9 miles (switching today and tomorrow's run b/c flying solo and no depot on Sunday). This is weather permitting b/c it may storm, but I really want to try out my new shoes.

Now I am going back to see Dr. B next week. This time not for my legs (although they are starting to get a little pissed about how much I am working them...but still allowing me to continue if I take 2 Aleve instead of 1:)  I am seeing Dr. B b/c for the last 2 weeks my left shoulder has been popping when I run. It pops loud with every forward and backward motion of my arm. It was annoying but not hurting at first but now it is bothering me more. Even more annoying is now my thumb is going totally numb when I run. It really bothered me during my 13 miles on Thursday. I kept trying to move my hand and arm to get the feeling back. It would come back during the very brief stop to reset the treadmill when I could have my arm straight but then it would go numb again. So I asked my PT and he thought I should have Dr. B take a look. Both my PT (Shane) and Keith heard my popping when I was running with them last week. So we'll see what Dr. B has to say.

Okay this post is really all over the place. Hope you were able to follow along. I am not sure how much blogging I am going to be able to do now that life just got really busy again. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment