Sunday, August 19, 2012

Training Update

I think I might go back to making a separate weekly training update just b/c I have nothing much else to talk about right now. I just can't tell you exactly what week in training I am in since I have not 100% confirmed what race I am doing. I had my mind all made up after my last blog post, but then I got an email on Friday saying they cancelled the meet for Alexis in October b/c too many people were going to be gone on Fall Break. That was one of my big reasons for not doing it. Still probably not doing it, but it is back on my mind. I would still do the Monumental full two weeks later I think. Actually I still need to make the phone call to upgrade from the half to the full. I sent an email about it but b/c I have to pay more it is going to require a phone call, and if you know me at all you know that call is just going to take awhile. I will do it...eventually!!

Here is what this week has looked like. I really did not follow any schedule b/c I considered it one of my extra weeks. I just did whatever I wanted to do.
Monday: 5 miles on the T-mill

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: 6 miles very early in the dark. This is becoming a favorite run of mine. It is just refreshing and cool outside. It is nice to have this done before getting the kids up. Just gets me ready for the day. After the kids were off to school Clark and I went to the gym b/c he did not have any surgeries in the morning.  So I did 30 minutes on the stationary bike. Clark then had to leave, and I did another 15 minutes on the elliptical.

Thursday: Since I could not meet early, Jaime ran with another friend. Sadly, I think our Thursday Monon long runs are over now that the kids are in school and I need to be around to get them on the bus. Anyhow, I went to the Y and did 10 miles on the T-mill. Then I did 30 minutes on the bike. Then I went outside and did 5 more miles on the trail around the YMCA. I had been saying I wanted to try this out forever, but I rarely do anything by myself the first time. This day I thought what the heck. I knew that there was no chance I could get lost since it was just a loop around the Y. I enjoyed it. It felt much like my mile loop in the neighborhood (which I am finally starting to get bored with). I am not sure how I will feel about doing 20 miles on that loop but next Thursday if I don't feel like driving 40 minutes to run the monon by myself, I will probably find out.

Friday: Went to the gym and did the bike for 1 hour. Also had my PT appointment with Shane. I think what I got out of that visit is that I have the worst posture ever, and we need to seriously work on that. I am seeing him for my shoulder pain and thumb going numb issue. I have known forever I have the worst posture. It is the number one thing I hate about my body. I used to joke that I needed shoulder implants b/c I slouch so much. My purses are always falling off my arm. No normal bra straps stay up (which is why I like work out clothes and sports bras). Off the shoulder shirts look ridiculous. Anyhow...it is horrible. I know that. I also have no flexibility in my left shoulder. Finally once again Shane got to tell me to relax a million times. He probably thinks I need a xanax before our appointments (for the record I have never taken a xanax). I just keep telling him I don't know how to relax. It is the truth. So I have 2 new stretching exercises to start with. Then I see him again next week. In the meantime I have to work on sitting/standing straight. During my bike rides he does not want me leaning over the entire time. I was able to sit up for half of it I would say.

Saturday: I met Cathy on the Monon and did 13 miles. She was doing great until about mile 9 and then hit a bit of a wall but also started to have a lot of knee pain along with some hip pain. She is still seeing her trusty PT whom she thinks is the greatest!!  We did make it the entire way and did exactly 13.1 on my Garmin at 2:00:02. Her goal for the Women's half is to do it under 2 hours. I am running it with her, so I really hope I can push her to do it. I love running with people who get a certain PR they are hoping for. I am also trying to convince Christine from PT to run this with us. I think she could do the same goal.

Sunday: Today I will do 5 miles.
Total for week: Running: 44 miles. Bike 2 hours. Elliptical: 15 minutes
Next week is a hard week with the first of several 20 mile runs if all goes according to schedule. I am also on call for the weekend so never know if I will get everything in.

As for my diet update...this week has sucked. I really don't understand or like the scale. I am logging all my calories, so it really should not be that hard. I am burning off more than I am taking in so why the hell it is going up I don't know. I am only 8 pounds off my goal. Was only 6 pounds off my goal but whatever! I do see why people get frustrated and give up. I used to think there is no way they are not just eating more and not admitting it, but after the last few days I realize that sometimes it just happens. I am not secretly binge eating and not counting those calories. I know what I am taking in. If anything I overestimate if I don't know the exact calories of something. Okay..moving on and hoping for a better week next week. It is just a fine line b/c you have to have enough calories to make it through the work out but still not over eat so you lose. This is why they say it is not the best idea to diet when training.

Finally my Bible reading update: I am still reading a lot. I have made it a priority to get through the entire Bible. At the start, my friend Matt was just telling me which book of the Bible to read next. Now I feel so bad bothering him every few days that I just figure something out. Last night I finished 1 Samuel  and 2 Samuel . It is a darn good thing I am not reading any of this out loud b/c I can't pronounce the names.  Since our church is about to do a study of 1 Timothy and 2 Timothy  I also read that one night last week. I am sort of all over the place. I just want to get through it once and then start over (hopefully with study guides or something) to really dig a lot deeper. I am kind of doing what I did during all my years in school. Read it fast once and then much slower and more in depth with all kinds of highlighting and underlining, etc after that. At least with the Bible it is a lifelong study:)

I do have a new favorite Bible verse that I think is perfect for me. 1 Timothy 4:8 which says, "Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come." LOVE IT. Just a great reminder of what is really important!!

Speaking of God...time for church...gotta go!
 

2 comments:

  1. Great blog ... I understand about the posture thing. I struggle with that too. In fact, I just got my thank you letter from PT since I have finished my sessions, and there was a note in there from Shane to watch my posture. And he is totally right, but it is really hard to do. I would be interested in what stretches you are trying. I thought running would help my core, which would help my posture. I have noticed I have less low back pain for sure, but not the posture improvement I had hoped for.

    Keep at it girl ... your blogs inspire me to keep going to. My next race is the Women's so we will see. My super secret goal is 2:19:59. The weather will probably have a big impact. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! Shane printed me out pictures so I will give a copy to Jenny and she can give it to you. One you need a foam roll to do. I think my roll is plenty thick but I need a longer one b/c it is hard to do otherwise. Easier if I just give you a copy of the pictures.

      A thank you letter FROM PT huh?? Yeah...pretty sure I am never getting one of those:)

      Hope you make your now not so secret goal at the Women's half!! Christine from PT just signed up today and she is set to make an awesome PR as well. I am running for fun with friends and just hope to be apart of someone else's PR:)

      Delete