Sunday, May 22, 2011

Connection Pointe's Amazing Race

So I think I mentioned this before, but Clark and I just joined a small group. Our church is huge and what ideally is supposed to happen is you are in a small group to make it feel smaller and to really connect with others and dig deeper into certain topics. We have been saying for nearly 4 years that we need to join one, but we always had an excuse as to why "now" was not the right time. We were too busy. Well, we have concluded that our life is never going to slow down, and so we can no longer hide behind the "we are too busy excuse...so maybe next year." I have been doing bible study with one of my best friends since college (Stephanie) and she invited Clark and I to join her small group. We meet every Friday night and this past Friday was our first. It went well. Clark and I are very shy until we get to know you so as far as speaking up much.....ummm not so much yet. I am not at all shy around Steph but this is a small group of people, and I have a huge fear of public (even if a small group) speaking.

Anyhow, moving on to my title. Today our church had its own version of The Amazing Race where you competed with your small groups and had 10 tasks to do. Nobody really had any clue what we were going to be doing until we got there and started getting clues. The big kids came with us and luckily the church had childcare for the little ones.  It was pretty funny to see all these people (I think there were 50 teams) in bright orange shirts running around town today. Everything was written as a clue and we had to figure out where to go and then there would be a task to complete. Our first clue/task was getting to the church gym and doing 10 min of zumba. Wow am I uncoordinated. I could never figure out which way my feet and hands were supposed to go. Remind me never to try that again unless, like today, with all people equally as clueless. Clark was really into it I think.....kind of freaky. Our second clue/task took us to the movie theater where we picked up a little gift package (movie tickets, popcorn, etc) and we had to give it to a random person (someone not participating in the race). Our team ran to BW3's next door to find someone to give it to. Next up we had to go to the parking lot of another church and run around carrying these jugs of water and answering questions relating to water (such as how far do some people in poor countries walk to get water....4 miles, etc, etc, etc). Once done answering those questions we had to go to Wendy's and pay for someones food. We bought food for someone going thru drive-thru. Next we had to go to Blast off park where we had to write down an example of a random act of kindness. Matt (Steph's husband) wrote down "mow someones grass." Umm...we didn't know that we were going to have to do it right then. Luckily they told us (since it was raining at the time) and we changed it to pay 15.00 for someones gas (part of someones gas I realize). We actually just gave the person at the gas station 20.00. Next up was going to a store and pushing in 10 carts and telling the workers that we appreciate what they do for us. We went to Marsh first b/c it was close to where we were and our next check in point, so did everyone else, and there were simply no carts. It was funny to watch people stalking the shoppers just so they could walk them out and push their cart back in. We decided to leave and go to Lowe's instead where we had no problem finding plenty of carts that needed taken back in. After that we had to meet at East Middle School and put 4 plants in pots and then take them to a local nursing home and give them to 4 people. We had to get the names of all 4 people that we were giving the flowers to. Clark and the kids did this part as I stayed at the car. Clark was worried b/c he went to a woman's place and she looked awful. She was having a bad day. Clark said she had her oxygen on and yet her placed smelled of smoke. He tried to make sure she was going to be fine before just asking for her name and rushing off. Next we had to go to Walmart and buy all these canned items and then drop them off with someone waiting at Lowe's to donate.  Next, we had to go put up a new basketball net on a goal that needed one. Finally we ended back at the church where we had to write 8 thank you letters to missionary workers. Our place was 24th. Not too shabby considering we were a group with lots of kids. We were very pleased to finish in the top half.

So that is how I spent my Sunday. How did you spend yours?

Steph took a picture of our group but it may be weeks before I actually get my hands on a copy. I did take one photo of the boys putting up the basketball net.




So here I posted a picture of our small group bible study (aka amazing race team). We have so many people that they put us in two teams just for the race. We all had a great time and based on some email follow ups dripping with sarcasm, I missed some fun during Zumba!! .

No comments:

Post a Comment