On her actual birthday we did not really do a lot. I took just the big kids to church b/c Adam had gotten sick in middle of the night. Then Alexis wanted to go to Applebee's (slim pickins where we live). We had a nice lunch. Then my mom came over and helped her organize her closet. My daughter likes to organize, and my mom had gotten her a bunch of stuff from The Container Store for Christmas. So we spent much of the day doing this. While Alexis likes to organize, she does NOT want to throw anything away. I tried to explain things would look better if we could just part with some of the junk. I lost that battle many times over. Alexis also got to have control over the TV for a day. She and I are usually stuck watching boy shows. Almost never does she get to pick a girl movie. She picked Mama Mia and while the boys moaned and groaned about it, I insisted she was allowed to have it on. In the evening, Clark made her a cake. While he was doing this, Ryan decided to slam a door in Landon's face on accident (he didn't know he was behind him and all the kids were running around playing freeze tag). Next I know they all come down saying Landon's bleeding. I figured he had another nose bleed, so I am sure it took a second or two for me to look up from what I was doing (which was trying to finish CME before the new year). I took one look at him and knew my evening was shot. He needed stitches. He and I took off for ER while I thought everyone else would stay behind and have cake. Luckily my husband is a doctor in the hospital b/c they got us right back even though the waiting room was packed. Landon got 4 stitches on his face. Best patient ever. Did not move at all ever!! He was loving the special one on one time with mom. He was just talking up a storm. Even now he talks about our "good conversations" that night. When we got home, I was expecting to get some left over cake and head to bed like everyone else. Oh no, Clark let all the kids stay up so we could sing to Alexis and have cake together. So around 11pm we finally sang happy birthday and had some cake.
Here is a picture of Alexis on her actual birthday!
We did not have our family celebration of her birthday until this past weekend. I was on call and honestly think I have been on call when we celebrate her birthday every year since I have been out of residency. Annoying! Again it was nothing exciting. My mom threw together a theme. By the age of 9 every cute theme has already been used. We just did peace signs b/c we could not think of anything else. The cake turned out to be the ugliest cake EVER. Glad my easy going daughter really doesn't care. Next year....I am getting her a better cake!!! The Colts played (and lost) their playoff game this day so that sort of took over part of her party. You can see from her pictures everyone wore their Colts blue! Here are just a couple of pictures of our small family party.
There really was nothing left to get Alexis after Christmas. She basically got a lot of clothes. I think when I hung then up she had 15 new outfits. In each one that I wrapped there would be a small gift as well (like a picture of friends Lego's that did not come in time, Kindle case, American Girl clothes, etc)
Alexis wanted a rhythmic gymnastics ribbon.
I got her the boat that goes with her new American Girl doll, Caroline.
Adam
Another year. Another thrown together party. I have loved the last year with Alexis and hope that 9 is every bit as great as age 8! I could not have imagined a better daughter. She is my angel. Love you Alexis!!!
Super cute photos ... and hey, last minute parties are sometimes the bestest ones ever! :)
ReplyDelete