Saturday, July 16, 2011

Island Life Day 3

Day 3 of vacation was set up to be a cold and rainy day. The morning started with my sister flipping out b/c she was done...ready to go home. She wanted to leave a day early. Everyone was already scheduled to leave the island the following day but she couldn't take anymore. She doesn't sleep well at night and she "was bored." I don't think anyone would have had an issue with her family leaving early b/c we were all on our own getting home but there was one small problem. Her kids were having a great time and didn't want to leave. Kim was having a fine time and wanted to stay for the kids sake. I stayed out of all the yelling and Clark and I took the kids swimming. In the end it was decided they were staying. It did end up raining off and on throughout the day but no serious storms and since you spend your entire day in wet gear it didn't really matter much.

I was expecting this trip to be difficult from a family standpoint. Specifically from a "my mother" standpoint. Since we were in different houses I think I was spared a lot of her drama and instead the thing that stands out as the most difficult on this trip was my very own Ryan (first picture below). He has been called "cryin' Ryan" since the minute he came out. He never lost this name but what I have been trying to tell people is that he is just not quite right. Not saying I love him any less (in fact to an outsider it might seem I love him more b/c so much of my time is devoted to him). He is different. He doesn't fall into any perfect category but man that child cries a lot. The thing with Ryan is there is no middle ground. He is either great and the perfect child or horrible and crying for what seems like an eternity. Unless you spend a significant amount of time with us, you don't notice it. If you witness a meltdown you assume he is having a bad day or tired, etc. Problem is this is every day. Everything is a struggle and rather than getting better, I feel it is getting worse. Clark still seems somewhat oblivious to it and says he is fine, it will get better. Ryan is 4 and 4 year old are allowed to have tantrums but I can assure you he has way more than most 4 year olds. His brothers sure don't have this issue. Everything sets him off. Anything that doesn't go exactly according to his plan, sets him off. When you tell him no...he cries. Everything from getting dressed to trying to get him to eat is a struggle. In the end he does whatever you want and is usually happy about it. My family finally saw what I was talking about. My mom of course tried to butt in b/c she thinks you give kids whatever they want. Clark and I don't work that way. If we say no, we mean no. We don't just let you throw a fit and then us give in. NO WAY! I will put up with the crying before I start doing that. My sister and Kim just kept saying, "wow I never knew he really did this ALL the time." It is exhausting. At home not so bad b/c either he does it less or, probably more likely, it is just so much easier to ignore. Out in public, I hate it. I hate even more when complete strangers either try to give me advice or try and calm him down. It down right makes me angry b/c I just want to scream don't you think I have tried all that. I promise I know him better. We give him tons of positive praise. We have tried every discipline method. We will keep working on it. Interested to see how school goes. Again when he is good (aka not crying) he is the best. Funny too how he CAN'T stand for his brothers to cry. Landon got in trouble during the trip for something he did to Ryan and Landon started crying and Ryan was all over him saying, "Don't cry, it's OK, I'm fine, your fine, don't cry"....hugging him, kissing him, doing anything in his power to stop him from crying.  He is always the first to try and make an unhappy person happy. If you need something, he gets it. When the trampoline floated far out and one of his brothers wanted it closer so they could jump on without getting wet, Ryan would be the one getting in and dragging it back closer to the dock. He is my most athletic. He has a good heart. I do love my Ryan and I know it might sound otherwise it is just that the way he acts is not 'the norm'. I think it is his norm but he has emotional issues. Issues that are not just b/c he is a triplet, the fifth child, a boy, etc etc etc. That seemed like a long tangent. But that was a big part of this trip so to leave it out would be to leave out a lot!!
The boys set out to go exploring
 I like this picture b/c it looks like Nick is holding a meeting to discuss the day's plans
 Had to put this one in b/c Clark said he wasn't in any pictures. Also this day mom broke out new little one dollar water guns that this kids loved
 Cody and Ryan wanted to go out on the Lund. Cody got to drive
 More tube time. This is me
 Alexis and Caleb
 Nick didn't want to do anything but as you can see from the smile on his face when we all but forced him (well we forced him to go on the boat and then it was up to him if he wanted to get in water..he made that call) he LOVED it (as I knew he would).
 Caleb trying to stand up
 Papaw and Adam and Landon (they liked it but were a little scared). I give them so much positive praise when they are done however that they forget their fears and suddenly it was awesome.
 Ryan...he loved it.
 Nick
 Landon who is one of the sweetest kids ever. He talks and talks and talks and is so full of stories. He is someone different every day but never Landon. This trip he was Bumblebee a lot. Can you tell he wants to see the movie Transformers. His other favorites are star wars characters, Indy (from Indiana Jones), Ash (from Pokemon). Never Landon. If he doesn't go into acting, I will be shocked.
 Alexis.....the girl who is almost always happy and who will do ANYTHING. She has NO fear (that is both good and bad:)
 Ryan
 Nick with his self made spear
 Nick pretending to stab Caleb
 I am not sure Alexis brushed her hair even once during our island stay. It was a tangled mess by the end.
 Adam who clearly won my best child of the trip award. No I don't really have such an award but he was perfect. Always happy. Always smiling. I expected him to be so timid and not want to do anything. I thought he would complain the water was cold. I thought he would be scared of the boat, the water, the bugs. He was great. He did everything. Usually he is my scared one. So proud of you buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment