So I have been thinking.....
I want to try an experiment with my family. I presented the idea to my big kids this morning and was quickly shot down. That response was a bit predictable. Not sure when Clark and I will cross paths long enough for me to inform him of my little experiment (he might read it here before I get the chance to tell him:) I want to try for one year to see if we can live on his salary alone. Basically I want to see if we can make it on 2/3rds of what we bring in now. I am not talking scaling back for a month or two. I want to try this for 1-2 years. I want to be very strict about it. I think there really is no downside to this b/c I can only see one of three outcomes. We could fail and realize we can't do it and still be comfortable enough to enjoy life some. We could make it but realize that we would like to be more comfortable so it would not be worth it (in which case it was a great year of saving money and I go out and buy me a car that does not always sound and look like it could break down at any second). Finally we could realize that we didn't need all that "stuff" after all and we actually would be just fine on his salary alone.
The big kids had a couple of responses to this. They were fine with it initially. Then I explained that we would not have as much money for "things." Alexis shot back that it was okay b/c grandma would just buy them everything they wanted. I explained that is not how it would work. Quickly they both said, "then no."
I think it would be hard for my very spoiled children but also very good for them to realize that money does not grow on trees and that you can't get everything you want all the time. I think I can predict Clark's response. He will likely think that we went through all this (this being medical school, residency, etc) to be able to have a good life. He might also point out the 250,000 in student loans that we will be paying for the next 27 years. My rebuttal would be that I don't think being on call so much is living a good life. When I am not on call all I do is dread the upcoming call. When I am on call I am so angry the entire time that even if I am home I am not really a functioning member of the family. When Clark is on call I am angry with him that he can't help with any of the driving with kids. There is not one single night of the week where we are all home for a family meal except sometimes on Saturday (sports depending). Is this really what we had hoped life would be like? So that is what I have been thinking about this week.
I would like to start this little experiment of mine in March. Can't do it this month given my trip to Disney in 2 weeks. Not cutting back on that one. Need one last splurge. Will also let Clark buy his truck cover before we start. He has been wanting that since he bought the truck. Again, there is nothing to lose by trying this. I am still going to be working and that money will still be coming in (but hopefully not be used). We would have to try it for 1-2 years b/c anyone can cut back for a month or two but I want to see if it could really be done long term. I will let you know what Clark says. I will give updates every 3 months on our progress (good or bad).
As for now, I need to go to the store to get groceries. Food is a huge expense in our family!!!!!
Have a great day.

Christy - I am doing the training program with Shane, Eva, Carrie, Jenny, etc. this year, and am sorry I didn't do it last year, because I wish I had the chance to get to know you. Instead, I feel I know you through your blog and what everyone says about you (), and you are funny and inspiring!
ReplyDeleteI want to encourage you to DO THIS! I can't imagine how stressful your family life is with both of your work schedules. Your kids will be grown up before you know it, and you will MISS IT!!!! I have been a stay-at-home mom, worked part-time and worked full-time, and I have missed so much of my kids lives because of working.
You are in a unique position, because you have a hubby who does make a good living. YOU CAN DO IT! And then just take all that money you saved, get yourself a car, and put the rest on those nasty student loans. I guarantee you that you will not regret being home and being available to your kids (and Clark) more. Sending encouragement vibes your way!