So I am probably crazy but I have a thought. A few months ago I had a post titled Marshmallow Woman. I think it was on my old running blog that is no longer. At that time I had a weird week where I gained a lot of weight and was puffy with some edema in my legs. Well, I seem to be having a similar type of week. I stepped on the scale today b/c I just felt well....puffy. My ring is tight. My clothes tight. You get the picture. I am not saying I have eaten great in the last few days but aside from yesterday (which probably was my worst eating day that I entirely blame of being locked out of the house), not horrible. So you can imagine my shock when the scale shows numbers I haven't seen in 2 years. In 2 days I gained 7+ pounds. Ummm..... really??
Fine, I got over that horrible shock and have eaten great today and will be continuing to do so until I am friends again with the scale.
I am getting to my theory soon...I swear. This afternoon I was finally tired of putting off my 4 mile run. I was putting it off b/c I was afraid I would fail again like I did on Friday. I decided that since I was on call I would run the little loop around my house (13 laps to make 4 miles) while Clark held my work phone. That way I could just stop and answer calls and not have to carry a phone. I would not say the run went all that great but I did finally after many stops finish the desired distance. I would love to lie and say I had to stop b/c my phone was going off (actually I would not like to say that b/c I hate the phone). The phone never went off. I stopped after every mile b/c my exercise induced compartment syndrome was totally acting up. That alone never really alarms me b/c I have had it forever and I know how to deal with it. I have described this before but will do so again for sake of having nothing better to talk about. Basically after about a mile the pressure in my shins increases significantly. The muscles swell and everything becomes so tight. I get this horrible pain and for a short time I almost have to sort of slap my feet down b/c I can't dorsiflex my feet when running. The good news is that I long ago figured out that if I just keep going it never continues beyond the first few miles and it gets better and goes away. The other option is to stop after each mile and within minutes the pain will go away. Sometimes I rub my lower legs b/c it hurts so bad it seems like that should help but it can temporarily make it worse. Anyhow, the point is it goes away, and it goes away quickly. The other thing I have learned over the years is that if I keep up with running I don't get this pain anymore. If I take several days off then I will have to deal with it my first couple runs back. Today it was bad. I decided to just stop after every mile and wait the minute or two until it resolved before starting again. That also gave me a chance to check my phone b/c I didn't trust that Clark would pay enough attention if it went off.
While running I was thinking (b/c I didn't listen to music so as not to miss Clark yelling at me if the phone was going off) about my crazy weight gain and worsening compartment syndrome. Obviously if I am already puffy to begin with it makes perfect sense that my compartment syndrome would act up. Now the only thing different that I have been doing in the last week is that I have been taking Mobic again....daily. Since just before the 15 mile run and then every day since b/c my leg hurts, and I am convinced it helps. So my theory is that it may be helping my leg but not doing much for my kidneys. That is my theory. It is probably so much more likely that I just ate 7 pounds worth of extra food over the last two days and the extra weight made my compartment syndrome show up today!!!
Not sure what I am going to do with my theory b/c I can not exactly stop the mobic if I want to keep running. Not right now anyhow. I have 17 miles to put in on Thursday. I guess I will just see what happens with my weight and added padding...hahaha over the next few days. I may consider just checking some screening labs later in the week if I still think my theory is possible.
I hope everyone has enjoyed this beautiful weekend! I know the kids are loving all the outdoor time. I took a couple pictures of the triplets that I will post later if I think about it. I feel like I haven't posted pictures in forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment