I really should have written this post on Friday, but that would have interrupted my Disney posts so it had to wait. Clark did not have any morning surgeries scheduled for Friday morning so he was willing to run 10 of my 14 miles with me. I was super excited about this but first had to go to a PT appointment, and we knew the weather was supposed to get bad soon. Still I rushed out of my appointment so that we could get started as soon as possible. I tried to convince him that since it was calling for heavy storms we should just do my loop over and over (thereby being close to our car). The loop kills him. Too boring for him. He has a 10 mile loop that he likes to do that starts and ends at our house. He felt like we would make it before the storm. I agreed but had my doubts. The one problem for me with his 10 mile loop is that it includes lots of hills. I hate hills. He loves hills. I tried not to complain and just keep running. I know he had to be somewhat bored b/c our pace would have been very slow for him. He would try and talk but I could not talk back much. I just kept thinking that I was still gonna have to do 4 more miles once we got home and if I was only doing 10 I could push myself to go a little faster.
On his loop he stops right after mile 6 at a gas station and buys a drink. That way he does not have to carry anything on the run. When we stopped at the gas station (4 miles from home) I could tell it was getting very dark outside. I kept trying to get him to hurry up. At this time Nick was home sick with fevers and so we did manage to call him and tell him to go to the basement just in case. As soon as we left the gas station, it started to rain. Then came the lightening and thunder and heavy rains. I was not so much worried that I was going to get struck by lightening, but I was rather concerned that my iPhone was going to get ruined b/c it was not in a waterproof case. I was in shorts and tee shirt with no place to hide it. Clark was ready to sprint, but I had to keep yelling at him that I could not sprint at that point b/c I was not going to get injured and I still had a lot of miles to run once home. I just kept saying that if any car stops we are getting in. Car after car passed us and probably thought what are those idiots doing out in this. FINALLY a car passed and was I think just wanting to tell us that the warning sirens are going off and we should probably head in. No kidding!!! I simply asked him if there was any chance he could drive us home. He said okay. I would never have done this if I was by myself but at this point I was desperate. Clark sat up front and I sat in back. The man was very nice just coming off his UPS overnight shift. Clark tried to tell him to drop us off at the front of the neighborhood but at this point I was like can't he just drive us to our house. He did and my phone survived. I then immediately got on the treadmill for the last 6.18 miles (to complete a total of 14). The treadmill miles were very painful. I go really slow on the treadmill and my knees and right hip were hurting at this point. Still I was so determined to finish b/c I didn't want to have to start this long run over the following day.
So my splits for the run were as follows (it was slow):
Mile 1: 8:14
Mile2: 8:33
Mile 3: 8:13
Mile 4: 8:17
Mile 5 8:14
Mile 6: 8:22
Mile 7: 7:58 (the storm did speed us up)
Mile 8: (well at least the first 0.82 part of it) 7:31
The remaining 6.18 miles was done on the Tmill set at 8:49 min per mile. I am always slower on my home T-mill.
Next week is the dreaded 15 miler. My right hip is giving me more and more trouble right on schedule. This is what happens. Actually it is not as much my hip as my upper thigh part (right where I had the stress fracture last time). Third time is a charm right. I have run 15 miles twice in my life...breaking both times (one labral tear requiring surgery and one stress fracture putting me out of the Chicago marathon). The actual 15 mile run always seems to go fine. It is just after that I can't run. I won't actually stop at 15 miles next week. Will try and at least go to 15.5 or if hurting stop at 14.75 but no chance I am stopping at 15. It is bad luck!
Hope everyone has a nice week!
No comments:
Post a Comment