Sunday, April 15, 2012

Training week in review

Not much in the blogging mood this week. This has been a so so week. I missed a run day, so that was bad but I did my long run, so I am still satisfied. Here is the run down of the week.

Monday: REST=work and call

Tuesday: Ran 5 miles on the treadmill. Painful stopped a lot.

Wednesday: Went to the Y and did the bike for 1 hour while reading The Bronze Horseman.

Thursday: See the last blog post. Ran 19miles (11.5 with Jaime and 7.5 myself).

Friday: Went to the Y and did the bike for 1 hour. Read more of the Bronze Horseman. Before I started the bike my right hip was hurting quite a bit from the long run. The bike made it feel soooo much better. Not sure I understand that, but it does help. When I get off that bike my hip does not hurt. Doesn't last but for awhile it does not hurt!!

Saturday: Was totally supposed to run 5 miles. I am on call this weekend so it was going to have to be on the Tmill since I couldn't take my work phone in the rain. I think that is maybe why I never got it done. All day I just kept saying I was going to do it soon. By 10pm I realized it wasn't going to happen. So this was a rest day.

Sunday: I had good intentions of doing 10 miles to make up for the 5 I did not do yesterday. Both Nick and Alexis went with me, and we just did my old one mile loop b/c I never wanted to be more than 8 minutes away from easily being able to answer a patient/hospital phone call. Alexis carried my phone, and we stopped after every mile to check it. After the first mile I informed the kids we were only doing 5 miles. I  just didn't have 10 in me today. My legs were sore. My right hip is not feeling good. My shins hurt. Besides all that pain, it was windy. I figured pushing it just to make up yesterday was not worth it. Instead I just tried to push myself a little during the 5 one mile intervals that I was doing. Mile 1: 8:06. Mile 2 7:46. Mile 3 7:46. Mile 4 7:50. Mile 5 7:34.

In other sports related news. I didn't realize Jaime had already gotten her bike. I am a little behind and need to get one here soon, so we can go riding together. Other than the bike at the gym (which is not a spin bike) I know nothing about riding. I know the thought scares me, and I am sure I am going to get hit and killed by a car in the process. Still I am a follower so if Jaime is doing it, so am I....hahaha!! Well...that and the fact that my husband is into riding now more than running. I can assure you that I will never like riding more than running, but it might be fun (or so Jaime says).

Also, I don't think I mentioned this yet. Keith and Shane are in fact doing the Cleveland marathon as well. Clark is acting as chauffeur for the weekend (getting us to Cleveland and back and getting us to the start of the race:) I learned a huge lesson to not wait until the last minute to find a hotel when doing a big race. There was NOTHING in the downtown Cleveland area by the start. I mean nothing. Clark called lots of places to see. We ended up having to book a cheaper hotel outside the downtown area and Clark will drive us in. Keith and Shane are there as well. They are super excited to be sharing a king bed together!! Nate and Kimberlee originally booked a different hotel, but when I reminded Nate just how bad the reviews for that place were, they changed to ours. Nate decided that maybe his wife Kimberlee should be near an OBGYN since she will be very pregnant at the time of the race.

Next, I am not going to do the Carmel half next weekend b/c I can't find anyone to do it with me. I was just going to do it as a training run but not fast. It just fell on a taper week so I thought it sounded fun. None of my friends want to do it b/c they are all doing the mini in 3 weeks. Actually if you remember my 2012 running goals, Stephanie was supposed to run the Carmel with me but then she had to go getting preggo for the 4th time::)) Excuses! Excuses!

Finally I forgot to mention I went and saw my sports med doctor. I just love him! I think after a few years of seeing me, he understands me well. He kind of always walks in the room with a little apprehension and if I could read his mind, I predict him to be saying, "okay lets see what kind of issue she is going to have today." Not in a 'I don't believe her' way but more in a 'please don't be anything that means I have to tell her she can't run way. I put his fears to ease right away and the first words out of my mouth (after the usual hello) were, "don't worry....this is an easy one." He confirmed I have plantar fasciitis and we discussed treatments. He also agrees with Shane that my shin pain is related to the plantar fasciitis and probably not a stress fracture but that if it gets worse we could do imaging. I informed him only would do plain film b/c unless bad enough to show up on that, I was running no matter what. Actually I told him I would run even then so really probably just something we wouldn't want to know. He laughed and agreed and said the worst that could happen is your leg just breaks at mile 16. To which I said that is a risk I would be willing to take b/c I AM running this race. He just says, he knows. As for the plantar/shin issue that I actually do have... we are doing steroid dose pack. This is what I wanted but I was worried about the timing. He said we do one now and we do another the week of the race if needed. I like that. He said I need to find that foot brace thing I once bought Clark but that he never used and sleep in it. I need to make some ice cups. I need Shane to be doing therapy to help. I need to stretch. See that was an easy appointment. I didn't end up asking him about the chest pain. Seemed like he was having a busy day and that just seemed silly and cruel. If I drop dead someday while running, it was my heart but no worries b/c if I was running I was happy!!

Well, I need to end this hear b/c the kids just came in for cheese b/c they have found a trapped mouse outside. I must investigate.

No comments:

Post a Comment