Saturday, April 7, 2012

Week 12 Long Run...HORRIBLE

Week 12 is a taper week for me. My long run was only 13 miles. One would think that since I just ran 18 miles last week with an average pace of 8:09 that 13 miles should be a piece of cake....right?? WRONG!! This was the hardest long run (that wasn't even that long) that I have had so far. I ran it with Clark. That may have been the problem. I am not sure we make the best running partners. We ran his usual long run loop around here. All I confirmed from this run is that I SUCK with hills. It was just one hill after another. That is how I felt anyhow. Clark likes hills obviously. I do NOT. I just felt horrible on this run. I kept waiting to get past the 4 mile mark when normally I start to feel better but it didn't happen b/c we just kept hitting hill after hill. Actually I think the first half went okay. Not great but okay but I DIED on the second half. It wasn't even my legs so much. It was just that I felt terrible. Cardio wise I guess. Clark would say I became EVIL after the 7th mile. He made the mistake of lying to me saying there was only one more hill. 4 hills later and I was cursing him out like crazy. I just kept saying I was "dying" and that he was "trying to kill me." I really did not think I could make the 13 miles. I was having chest pain and for once I thought I was going to just fall over and die on the spot. At least I was with someone who should know how to do CPR:) Clark just kept telling me to quit yelling at him b/c all I was doing was wasting my energy. I felt like I had no energy so cursing seemed appropriate. I do kind of feel bad now b/c I was "EVIL." I was just so frustrated that I simply could not move and all I could think was if I am having this much trouble doing 13, there is NO WAY I can do a marathon. As for my legs, my left heel is killing me. Really didn't start to feel it until mile 10ish but feel it a ton now that I am done. My shin not as bad as the heel/foot but feel it more now that I am done. Still have my appointment with sports med next Friday. Think I will be keeping it. Also hoping that when Shane told me not to worry b/c he taught my old PT everything he knew that included issues with feet. My old therapist likes feet and it is sort of his area of expertise. Never understood why anyone would like feet. Personally I find feet disgusting!! Now however mine seem to be causing some issues.

Okay so here are the crappy details of today's run. Ran 13 miles. Overall average pace 8:13
Mile 1 8:07
Mile 2 8:23
Mile 3 8:08
Mile 4 8:10
Mile 5 8:14
Mile 6 8:12
Mile 7 7:54 (must have been the one flat stretch)
Mile8 8:12 (here is where EVIL Christy appeared)
Mile 9 8:13
Mile 10 8:18 (around here is when I started complaining of chest pain)
Mile 11 8:21
Mile 12 8:31 (I told you I was about to die)
Mile 13 8:03 (came to the realization I was actually not going to die and the run was almost over)

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry - we all have bad runs every once in awhile. Yesterday I did 10 at 7:04 and today 8 at 7:31 - no energy. Just wait and your training will pay off when it comes to race time. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete