Sunday, April 8, 2012

Week 12 Training in Review

This will be short.  Since I have blogged every day, all this info has already been written down. I will just summarize.

Monday: Went to gym and did bike for one hour.

Tuesday: Ran 8 miles in the morning. In looking back at my garmin it looks like I ran 8.12 miles with an average pace of 8:11.

Wednesday: Got my new shoes so instead of going to gym I ran on treadmill for 5 miles. This was a pathetic run with a pace of 8:57 and stops after almost every mile.

Thursday: Rest day. Since I worked the second half of the week this was my call night.

Friday: Rest day. I worked and didn't feel like going to gym when I got home.

Saturday: Would like to forget this run. Just kidding. I ran 13 miles with Clark with pace of 8:13. It is not at all the pace that upset me so much. It was just how horrible I felt the entire time. If my marathon was yesterday I would have been walking much of the second half. That is why I am frustrated. I just had nothing in me and it makes me wonder if I will really be able to even finish the 26 miles (forget the speed of things and my desire to at least come in under 4 hours).

Sunday: I ran 5 miles while Nick was rollerblading. Pace was 7:55. The wind was crazy. You could tell the miles when I was running more into the wind. Here are the splits: 8:11, 7:56, 8:01, 7: 42, 7:44. Interestingly my leg foot and shin did not hurt as bad during this run but my right hip was acting up.

So here's my final thoughts about week 12. I think my legs/feet are starting to feel the effects of training. I think I peaked when it comes to speed and am now going to have to settle for slower speeds if I want to make it the remainder of the 6 weeks until the race. I think I have to get back to the just finish mindset! Last week was probably my best week of training. I was kind of on a runner's high. This week has been a bit of a runner's low. That is the way it goes. Considering today is Easter, trying to focus on what is really important. Clark had a good point this morning. When I was dreading going out to do 5 miles and making comments about how I just want this marathon to be over, he just looked at me and said, "I thought you loved running." It was not so much what he said but the way he said it. I need to remember that. I do LOVE running. I am so happy that I am even able to run after all my various injuries. I need to stop getting so stressed out about this marathon and just love the runs. Easier to write, harder to actually do!!

This has been a tough week for a running friend of mine as well. This person is one of the strongest runners I know but they are having to deal with a hip injury just a couple weeks before their marathon. Only runners can understand just how devastating it is when training is going great and then comes to almost a screeching halt literally overnight b/c of in injury. Will be praying for all my running friends that are trying reach certain goals despite injuries.

Happy training. NO QUITING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment