Sunday, May 13, 2012

Getting Old

 A long long time ago....some 36 years ago...I was born!  Yipee... I am sure you could hardly imagine a world without me in it...haha! Yesterday was my birthday. I had good intentions to have a blog post yesterday, but it didn't happen. All in all I would say, I had a good birthday. I was originally scheduled to be on call last weekend and since I wanted to run the mini marathon I had to change my call to this weekend. That has been a bit of a bummer. In fact, when Julie called to give me change over on Friday, the first thing out of her mouth was, "Do you REALLY like running so much you wanted to be on call for your B.D. and Mother's Day?"  Actually I personally would prefer to never ever be on call but yes I do like running enough to switch call weekends around it.

So my day started early as usual. Got up at 4:30 and headed to hospital to round. Rounding went smoothly, and I was at the office with plenty of time to spare before walk ins started. I was working with our new nurse manager who has never worked a Saturday with me before. She made me laugh when she got there about 25 minutes early and said, "Wow, I thought for sure I would be here before you." If you know me...you know just how funny that statement is. She was very sweet and made me this delicious brownie dessert for my B.D. As for the walk-ins I would say it was probably my best Saturday yet. I saw 9 patients. I was super speedy and they came in so evenly spaced that I kept up with charting as I went. We were done on time at 11am. I did several times have to yell at parents (not really I am joking) when they would come in and say the forbidden word....QUIET. Umm...no do NOT say that until walk-ins are over b/c you never know when 15 more people might walk thru my door. The other thing that made me super happy during walk-ins was that I did not get any phone calls during that time. Totally helped that I did not have to stop seeing patients to answer a bunch of calls.

After work I met my mom at the Keystone at the Crossing. She wanted to take me clothes shopping for my birthday. I really didn't want to do it yesterday b/c I don't enjoy much when on call, but I agreed. I had to waste some time just waiting for my mom to get there. I quickly realized how much I hate in store shopping anymore. I felt like every store I went into I was attacked by sales people. My goodness is it too much to ask just to leave me ALONE and let me look around the store. If I have a question, I will ask it. I was in Brighton and I kid you not every step I took someone pounced on me to see if I needed something or b/c they very mistakenly thought I wanted their advice!  I had to leave the store it was so bad. My mom later told me she thought they did that b/c they felt like I was going to steal something. I don't really think I looked that bad having just come from work but whatever. I wanted to walk back in that store with all my bags on my way out and say, "see I can afford to buy my own stuff and probably would have made a purchase in your store if you had just left me ALONE." 

My shopping experience with my mom was alright. It is usually one of the rare times we get along. We started at the Coach store where we both got new purses. I basically carry the same purse (never changing for seasons or outfits) until it is very wore down. Let's just say mine was gross and falling apart. It was time. The only other store I cared to go in was WHBM. That is primarily where I buy my clothes (aside from Dick's for running clothes). My mom would not stop with the you need to branch out comments. She loves to go on and on about how I dress so boring and never get out of my comfort zone. She made me go in a few other stores. She would point how the most hideous things that she thought I should try on. One dress in particular I had to point out would look horrible b/c I have NO boom booms to fill the top. That comment was like opening a can of worms for her and for the remainder of the day she took every opportunity to list the reasons why I should stop running. It started with boom booms (aka breasts and my complete lack of them). She felt that was b/c of my running. Not sure if she has not noticed, but I have never had them. It is only b/c I AM a runner that I don't care that I don't have any. I can think of nothing worse than trying to run with big boom booms hitting me in the face. No thanks. My husband loves me just the same. If I ever have an extra 5 grand laying around then maybe I will consider letting someone putting some stuffing back in there. Anyhow, the running comments just kept coming. I did buy a couple of things at Banana Republic. I would say that is the most likely my second favorite non running clothing store. Then we took a break and ate lunch at Cheesecake Factory. I tried to get something off the skinny menu and really wish I had just gotten what I wanted b/c it was not good. I still ate it though. Finally after lunch we went to WHBM. Now those sales people are every bit as obnoxious as any other store, but I have to put up with it because I like the clothes. I probably had 20 outfits in my dressing room. Some I picked out and then when you go in the dressing room you always find they pick out many more to try. To avoid the sales women I almost never come out of my dressing room to model anything. I drive them crazy this way b/c they can never get a feel for if I am really just wasting their time or plan to buy stuff. I don't care. I made my mom come in when I was ready to have her look. Otherwise you are stuck with them trying to get you to buy shoes and jewelry to match. I liked just about everything in the store. Always a problem. I left there spending a small fortune. The girls even had a slight tiff over who was helping me the most (who gets credit for my large purchase). I even put things I loved  back and yet it still cost a lot of money. At this store my mom was kind enough to point out that I did have big legs (b/c I was trying to explain that I have ugly legs in shorts) and that it was b/c I was a runner. No!!!  After this store I wanted to leave. I was kind of freaking about how much I had just spent and needed to exit the mall ASAP before I could do anymore damage. Besides I had been with my mom as long as I could handle. I called Clark on the way home to make sure he didn't buy me anything for my B.D. I was certain he hadn't but I wanted to inform him I already bought my own gifts with my clothing purchase. I knew he wouldn't really care! I just said I might need to work an extra 2 days now:)

When I got home I decided it was such a beautiful day that I wanted to go for a run even though I was told to wait until Sunday. How was I supposed to not run on a gorgeous day that happened to be my birthday. I already knew I would go slow and not wear my garmin. Alexis came with me and rode her bike. She carried my work phone. We did my one mile loop 8 times. I think I was going no more than a 10 min/mile pace b/c my leg hurt. I just kept going b/c next week I am expected to run 26 somehow (still trying to figure out the how part). It was the easiest cardio run ever b/c I was going so slow. I told Alexis to keep talking to keep my mind off any pain. Boy oh boy did that girl talk. It was like I gave her a mission and she was not gonna let me down. She described every second of her 3 hour gymnastics practice in the most detail ever. None stop talking. It was funny. I think she was really enjoying it, and it did help me focus on something else. When she was done talking about gymnastics we moved on to school. She had a lot to say:) Clark was home probably thinking we had died b/c it took us so long to do 8 miles.

Once I got home we had dinner, and I ate some of the chocolate cake the kids and Clark made me. It was yummy. I told Clark the only way I was allowing him to watch hockey on my birthday was if I got a back rub at the same time. Then I went to bed. It was a good day!

Here is a few pictures of me when I was younger with blond straight hair. Puberty did not do me any favors. I still had no boom booms and my hair got dark and beyond curly!!




I hope everyone has a great Mother's Day!! I will have to do a mom's day post later.



No comments:

Post a Comment