Thursday, May 10, 2012

SUCK IT UP!!

In the encouraging words of my physical therapist, "Bring a straw and SUCK IT UP."

I had my bone scan today. It was NORMAL. I actually knew this before I left the scan b/c from what I could see both sides looked the same. Doctor B confirmed that when he phoned me at the end of the day. The only part that showed up was from my previous stress fracture back in September and when looking at that with the Xray, which just showed some thicker bone, it is just healing but nothing new. So Dr. B wants me to "get back out there and start training again." He wants me to run. I told him I was thrilled I no longer had to worry that I would break during the run, but I was still nervous b/c my leg still hurts bad.  I suggested I cross train until the marathon and then just see what happens, but he thinks I need to run before that. I have started a steroid dose pack with the thought that since we are now 100% sure it is not my bones, it must be muscle/soft tissue and steroids should help.  For any non medical person... Xrays can suck for stress fractures but bone scans don't miss them. End of story..my bones are not to be blamed this time.

So I guess Shane is right. It boils down to one thing....... I need to suck it up and push through whatever is causing this pain. Now I have altered my goals for this race significantly. It will likely be a run/walk with a goal to finish before the slow bus picks me up kind of race. Considering right now I have trouble running around my kitchen, I am going to have to be okay with this. Who knows...maybe the steroids will work some sort of magic. Should know if that is the case here in a couple of days. I am also holding out hope that Shane can work some magic. Seeing him tomorrow...then I will try and run.

In other happy news (b/c the fact that my leg is not broken is IN FACT happy news unless you are my mom who wishes I would never run again), Clark is finally coming home in the middle of the night tonight. YEAH!!! I already told the kids that I did not want to hear the word "mommy" all weekend long. Tonight we practiced screaming "daddy" over and over.  I also informed them that since Saturday is my birthday and Sunday is Mother's Day when I am not at work (b/c I am on call all weekend), I am locking myself in my scrapbook room and not coming out unless someone is blue or bleeding and even then it is questionable.....  I am of course kidding, but I am so ready for my husband to get home. I would make a horrible single parent.

I do hope everyone has a great Mother's Day weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment