I would be willing to bet that everyone around me is so ready for me to be done with this marathon (myself included) b/c it has nearly consumed my every thought. I am sure people are sick of hearing me talk about running and injuries, etc. Ten more days and one way or another it will be over. For now however, I am still trying to figure out this leg pain. My bones are normal. Great. Check. Moving on. My hip joint is fine. I think I know what my hip pain is and this is not it. Aside from my usual stiffness (which will always just be me) I can move my hip all over. Good internal and external rotation. You can mash all over my leg and not reproduce my pain which makes muscle seem weird but who knows. So my next theory is could there be some nerve or something that is firing up. Or even some muscle that is trapped when my legs swell. Hear me out on this. Mobic used to be my friend. I loved it. The last time I took it consistently I gained a bunch of weight which can happen. I even went so far as to have labs to make sure my kidneys were still happy. They were. Then I laid off Mobic and really used it sparingly. The swelling got better. The week of the mini I took mobic almost the entire week (probably 5-6 days in a row). My happy weight is 132. My realistic weight since training for this marathon (b/c I do nothing but eat) is 133-134. I had no pain after the mini. My legs did not hurt during the mini. The first time I had pain was Sunday in the middle of the night when it kept me up. Then it got worse from there. Monday morning my weight was 138.6. By Tuesday, my weight was 141.8 and had some pretty impressive pitting edema of my legs all the way up my shins. Again, I stopped the mobic. Is it possible that when my legs swell something on my anterior thigh gets trapped and causes me a lot of pain. The pain is also right over where my surgery incisions are so could there be some scar tissue making that worse. Thinking bones was the right initial thought. I have had 2 stress fractures. It is fairly localized pain. It hurts mostly when all my load is on that one leg. Good thought that I would have been willing to bet on, but I was wrong. The other worst time for pain is at night and, I can't explain that except I sleep on my stomach and maybe it was putting pressure on something. Who knows. Anyhow, I stopped the mobic and slowly my weight is coming down and I no longer had pitting edema. Yesterday my weight was 137.6. Today with long pants and long sleeved shirt it was 135.4. No longer have any pitting edema. Now I don't know what the steroid pack will do considering it is also an anti-inflammatory. It may just cause the same problem. Who knows. All I know is that it is giving me a headache like no other...
That is my theory for now. About to head out the door to see Shane. Maybe he will have some idea what is going on. Will just add to this post later if I in fact attempt to run today.
ADDENDUM: Okay so Shane pretty much thinks my theory is a bunch of hogwash. Instead he thinks I just have some late onset hip flexor flare up. Everything of course ultimately related to my crappy right hip and it's extreme tightness. Also my IT band may be a little angry. He spent forever working on my legs. We did tooling and a ton of stretching. It helped SOOOO much. By the end my hip was more loose. How do I know? He stops saying relax over and over and over. That and he said, "much better." Shane was slightly less than thrilled to find out my foam roller is more of a decorative fixture in the family room instead of something that I (not just the kids) am using on a regular basis. He had me run 3 miles today on Tmill. He said I AM going to have to go slower (both now and for this race....which takes some pressure off me b/c I can just blame him for my 5 hour marathon time). I did my 3 miles with a pace of 9:05 and it went well. My right knee hurt a little and since I have not run since mini, I had some compartment shin pain but my femur held up much better than my run attempts in the kitchen. I got my confidence back. I am still way off my training schedule (which sucks) but that is just the way it goes. He only wants me to have one more run this weekend and not even the scheduled 8. He said I can do 6. I am very happy about today's progress. I will meet with him again at least once next week. For now I continue the steroids and hope to God this headache (caused by them) gets better!!!
I did have some PT entertainment today. Shane's wife and daughter were there for part of my time and they were funny going back and forth. Shane did however make the mistake of putting me in the middle. I should have warned him that while simply being my PT makes him one of my all time favorite people meaning in nearly every situation I have his back and will support him, but one exception to that is with his wife. I will 99.999% of the time side with Jayda. Us girls have to stick together. The issue was something about whether or not to have a home phone (land line). I sided with Jayda that yes we have one. Now if you leave me a message on it I can pretty much guarantee I won't get it for at least a week (which is roughly how often we check it) BUT I have one.
Since tomorrow is my birthday I think I will try and find a picture of me when I was little. Back when I had stick straight and blond hair!!!!! Until then........
No comments:
Post a Comment