Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cautiously Optimistic

I am not sure I should put this in writing, but right now I feel cautiously optimistic about my hip. I would say that at this point I am 98% pain free during any and all activity. Now keep in mind I have not and will not attempt to run. I still think that will hurt, and I really don't want to do that just yet. I am thrilled that I am back to normal with everything else however. I have been feeling good for about 4 days now. I think maybe the steroids just took longer to kick in than the predicted 3-8 days. For me it was more like 10 days. It is also possible that it was the NO running that made the difference. Now I really just have pain at night (which is getting better and better) and on my first couple of steps in the morning (although even that was gone today).  I am obviously thrilled with this progress. I still believe my never ending prayers are working.

I have tried to stay fairly active from a cross training standpoint. Here has been my last few days...
Saturday: 1 hour on bike, 1 hour on elliptical
Sunday: nothing..took kids to zoo
Monday: 2 hours on bike and 1 hour on elliptical
Tuesday: 1 hour on bike
Wednesday: 1 hour on bike, 1 hour on elliptical

I really miss running but am very happy that I am able to do bike and elliptical without any pain. I did get to experience what I assume people talk about in marathons when they say they get leg cramps. I had this happen on the bike the other day. It came on suddenly and my calf was a knot and I had to jump of the bike to try and stretch my leg in ways I could tolerate the pain until it resolved. Gosh I hope that doesn't happen to me when I run b/c I am certain there is no running thru that until it goes away. I really do hate the elliptical. It sort of feels like torture. I try and watch netflix to make the time go faster but literally I watch every single minute and count down the entire time. On the bike I can read, but I can't do this on elliptical b/c too much up and down. I would like to try and get back in the pool just to add something different. Even more than that I really really really want to get in the water treadmill. I think I will get the green light from my PT next time I see him b/c I am doing well.

So anyhow, that is my latest hip update. I am happy but have no doubt that the pain will return when I run. So when do I run again?? Well...November 3rd. I am going to run (and likely walk) the Monumental marathon. I already paid for it. I trained for 4 months for this race. I am totally out of running shape right now so just to finish without the 'too slow' bus picking me up is my new goal. I thought about changing to the half and running with Jaime, but I don't think I could keep up with her at this point. Keith is going to do this race with me. Yes my super speedy friend is going to torture himself with boredom and slowness.... for me. Maybe I will get to repay him someday by being part of his support crew when he does his 100 mile run that he really wants to do. He will be running under Clark's name so as to not ruin his good record and starting corrals in the future. I hope running is like riding a bike. I am a little worried that with so many weeks off running, my legs won't remember how to do it!

Okay enough about all that! Kids are still on break. This 2 weeks is starting to feel long from a mom standpoint. It has made finding time to go to gym challenging and expensive (b/c often use the depot). The big kids are now with my parents for the next two days. My mom took Alexis to a Jordyn Wieber gymnastics' clinic today. Basically for a lot of money she gets to do this clinic and get her autograph. She is there right now, and I hope she is having a great time. I can't wait to hear all about it. After this they are going to Great Wolf Lodge for a couple of days. My sister and her kids are also going so they will be hanging with cousins. I don't think my mom has this figured out yet but it is only a matter of time before she no longer gets away with just taking the big kids. The trio is going to start getting upset that they are ALWAYS left behind. The rest of us are just hanging at home. I really wanted to get a sitter and go see Argo with Clark tonight but of course he has a laboring patient. May try again tomorrow and if that doesn't work out..I will go alone.

Next Monday is Nick's birthday. We have been unable to find a single day where we can celebrate his birthday b/c every single day is busy with sports, etc. What we ended up coming up with was just a quick (and I mean quick) get together with my parents on Monday night after the trio's hockey and Alexis' practice (which ends at 8pm). I feel horrible about this. It is going to be so lame. Here Nick have some gifts and eat some cake and sorry we really didn't have time to think about your birthday...oh and sorry if I missed you opening any of your gifts b/c I am answering the phones since on call but can you hurry it up b/c it is late and you guys have school...... Hopefully we can find a day in the next month or two that he can have a couple of friends over and at least go skating or something he might like. 

Speaking of schedules... our life has officially become a nightmare. So many conflicts. For example on Nov 3rd Nick has a hockey game in Ohio at noon. Alexis has gymnastics's meet at noon in Plainfield. Trio has hockey practice from 10:45-almost noon, and I will still be running/walking the monumental marathon at noon! Doesn't that sound like fun to figure out. Basically my only solution was trio skips their practice, and Clark takes all boys to Ohio for Nick's hockey and my mom gets Alexis to her meet. I try and run/walk faster to see if there is any chance I make any part of the meet...very unlikely. Remember it was Alexis who really wanted me to try and run my race so I knew she could not get mad that I would miss her meet. I should mention we only found out the day and time of the meet yesterday. When I told Alexis about missing the meet she said, "I think it is cool that we will both be doing 'our big thing' at the same time." Whew...glad she was not mad.

I think that is enough blogging for now! Hope everyone is haivng a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment