Saturday, October 13, 2012

Steroid injection=Happy Hip Day

So it is 4:30am and I can't sleep. Clark is on call and got a page at 3:30am and it always wakes me up. He has no problem sleeping thru my calls in the middle of the night, but I am not so lucky. I usually sit there thinking I should just answer his calls especially if it is a contracting woman calling b/c I know exactly what to say. He could just continue to sleep until the hospital calls him with the news of if the patient is really in labor. After the call, he is back to sleep and snoring within minutes. I on the other hand often never go back to sleep. I gave it a good hour trying but then felt like I was doing nothing but wasting time so I came downstairs and am now blogging and watching TV. I figured I could get my leg update blog done with for the day.

Yesterday was what I considered a good day in the world of hip pain. I started my day with a visit to my PT. It was a good appointment. He took the first several minutes and sort of acted as a different kind of therapist and just let me talk and get all my fears out on the table. Then he did some ASTYM (I always just call this tooling) to my lateral hip. We talked about the plan for the upcoming week depending on how my steroid shots went. He stressed that I really need to add in more cross training and even if I get back to running I need to do so less with more cross training days. I think at one point he said he would fire me if I attempted to do any running this weekend. No worries Mr. PT when my biggest fear is I will never run again, you can bet I will follow the advice of those taking care of me. No persuading necessary. He does think I will run again and that even the Nov 3rd race is not out of the question (he said a good time might be out of the question but not some sort of run...half vs full). He also said he would be the first to tell me honestly if he felt like it was time to quit the sport altogether....to which I wanted to reply..."have a loaded gun ready and available if we ever come to that"....JUST KIDDING!!

My PT appointment was at the Y making it very convenient to walk over and do the bike afterwards. I rode for an hour (my usual). I think I did about 20 miles. It went fast b/c i spent the first 20 minutes talking on the phone with Jaime. Now when I ride the bike I do so in a sweatshirt to maximize my sweating. I was dripping on the floor for the second half:) Also during my bike ride, I called and left a message for Dr. M's PA who was going to be doing my steroid shot later. I asked about a shot to my great trochanter (b/c I think I have bursitis there as a result of my hip pain and bad form). I think I am getting over my phone phobia or I just consider all this emergent and am more willing to make calls about it. It helped that I knew I would just be leaving a message. Finally I listed to Katy Perry radio on Pandora and read more of my book (still reading Bronze Horseman Trilogy..almost done with the second book...still good but very long).

In the afternoon I went to Dr. M's north office and his PA gave me 2 steroid shots. She was super sweet. I think she was excited that I was skinny and relatively fit b/c she said it was her easiest injection. She had gotten my message and had a chance to talk to Dr M who was fine with an injection in my lateral hip as well. We started with that one b/c it is easier. I just point out the spot, she marks it and boom you get a shot. For the injection into the hip joint she uses an ultrasound to see where to go. First she puts in numbing medicine (which I am in love with by the way). That part stings but nothing bad. Then the steroid is injected. She kept saying sorry, but I could not feel a thing. Nothing. Hence the numbing medicine. It was super fast and easy. She said the numbing medicine may take my pain away for 6-8 hours but then expect it to come back. The steroid can take 3-8 days to take effect. They are hopeful this will help and I will be running again next week. If not...well then we will have to consider the "more" that we mentioned but did not really discuss at my initial visit. She was totally awesome in just leaving it open for me to call. She stressed that I need to call her or Dr. M's clinical assistant directly as they will always work me in even if last minute. They understand my busy schedule...etc. I really appreciate how accommodating they are with me.

After my shot, I was feeling great. So great I thought I needed to stop at Dick's and shop. Seriously I blame Dr. M for making go to the North office and thereby being forced to drive by it on my way home. It went about as well as all my other trips to that store. I could have bought a million things in my department. I still have a slight obsession with running clothes. I restrained myself however b/c I am not sure where my running is going and even though I really wanted more pants that I wear for biking there was nothing in the Nike and UA section on sale. I did pick up one new sweatshirt and then shopped for Nick for his birthday. I really can't get him to wear anything besides Nike and UA anymore. Everything else is considered dress up and he fears he would get made fun of. This stuff is so expensive. I bought him several things including a new UA jacket. He is crazy picky about coats and while I buy new ones every year trying to find one he will wear it almost never works out. They can't have any bulk to them at all. I can't really complain b/c I almost never wear a coat. I am also not spending 30 minutes a day on recess however. In the end, I spent way to much and was disappointed to realize when I got home some of what I got him would have to be exchanged b/c wrong size. Oops!

When I got home I was loving life from a pain standpoint. I was PAIN FREE! It was great. In my hour before the kids got home I tried to go crazy doing anything that required me to walk up and down the stairs a lot. It didn't hurt. Later I took Alexis to gymnastics b/c she and Kaitlyn had  private session. Once home I watched TV and then read a great devotional book called Desperate for Change (40 days of Prayer for America) by David Butts. We got this book at church and I kind of forgot about it until I found it buried under a bunch of trash in the van. I read the first 20 days of book. I am better at reading larger amount all at once than reading one per day. This is a great book. Yes the main point is about praying for our Nation (in what Christians should believe is a time of crisis and falling away from God) but you can really personalize it and relate it to yourself as well. For example in one suggested prayer that I thought really stuck home with me, the author suggested telling God, "Forgive me Lord, when I walk in anxiety and stress, failing to allow Your peace to rule in my life. Breathe your peace into my heart. help me to bring that peace with me in every situation I face...... " I am also still working on reading the entire Bible. I am done with the New Testament and back to the Old which is much harder to get through. Still it is coming along. Once done with my first complete read thru I am getting myself a good study Bible and starting over and digging in deep! I read until almost 11:30pm and it was at that time that I was just starting to feel any pain or more pressure in my hip. That means I had a great 10.5 hours. It was great!!

I could feel my leg some while trying to sleep. No sharp stabbing pains right now but just some pressure and nothing horrible. I was just cautious every time I moved thinking it would be bad again. When I gave up on sleep and got up I could feel it some but still for the most part pain free. I walked down the stairs fine. I have been sitting here awhile so when I get up it will be a better indication of what to expect for the day. I am not allowed to work out (no run or even cross). I need to ice a couple of times and may just focus on my arm weights I have at home. I also have a goal of 1000 sit ups both today and tomorrow.

I have to get Alexis and Kaitlyn (she spent the night) to gymnastics in a little bit. May consider taking boys to Pumpkin patch (solo b/c Clark is on call). If I do I will try and take pictures and write a blog about it b/c it has been forever since I have taken pictures of the kids. I used to be so good about this. My scrapbook room has turned into a place to store all the kids old toys and clothes. You can hardly see the floor in there right now. Later I have a parents meeting for gymnastics on judging. Of course this could not be anywhere around the time of practice so I will be making at least 2 trips up North today. Nick is also supposed to have dry land practice in Fishers but you know what...he is going to miss that. It wasn't on the schedule until last minute, and no, I am not making 3 trips up North.

Well, I think Clark might be up again. I wonder if his previous phone call was in labor after all.  As for me, it is now 5:30am and I might go lay down and read if he is leaving and I can have the light on. I hope everyone has a happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment