Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Vegas Trip: Part 1....Who's Who

I will likely spend much of this week writing a detailed description of my Vegas 
trip. For me this will be remembered as one of my best long weekend non family vacations. There will be things in this post that  have meaning to only those who were on the trip (inside jokes) but I will include them so as to never forget.  My disclaimer before I even start is that this is my blog and therefore my version of the last few days.  If only everyone who went wrote blogs.  It would be fascinating to read 13 versions of the same vacation. Furthermore if you are new to my blog (and reading mostly bc you know I might be talking about you) keep in mind English was my worst subject in school and I am far from a good or even entertaining writer.
 
I thought it would be fun to start off simply with who's who (hence the title). I feel like I should say the following people are in no particular order....just kidding. I will just go in order of who I know best (I did not say who I like best....I said who I know best:) I will use first names or in some cases no names to respect privacy.
 
Stephanie
: you all probably know Stephanie (aka... hop along) bc she makes the blog on a regular basis. Sometimes referred to as my "little friend," Stephanie has been a close friend since we met at Butler. Steph heard me talking about how I really wanted to go to Vegas to run the strip at night but at the time there were only 3 guys going and well I was pretty sure they weren't willing to let me (as the only female) be the 4th wheel. Next I knew, Steph  was saying a trip to Vegas with friends sounded fun and she would go. She was not a runner at the time but was willing to at least give running a shot (yes I sort of push this sport on everyone and am convinced I can turn anyone into a runner). She might not have started as a runner but boy oh boy did she end this trip as one. Amazing (sorry..stay tuned to the race report for more details). Steph was incredibly fun to hang with during this trip! She is described as beautiful, smart, loyal, witty, kind hearted and now.... freaky fast....and temporarily broken::))
 
 
Jenny
: Jenny is part of the Hendricks crew but whom I became close with through small group Bible study. When I met her I was thrilled to find out she shared my passion for running and has connections with everyone as far as getting people together for races. Stephanie has been in Bible study with Jenny for years. When I describe Jenny on this blog I sound like a broken record bc all I ever say is that she might be the kindest, funniest person I have ever met. I am certain I will never think of frozen meat and hotel sheets the same.  Jenny is one of those people who makes you completely comfortable being around. She is the perfect harmonizer always wanting everyone to be happy and always taking care of others. I love her stories and could spend hours just talking to her. Jenny was responsible for getting 6 out of the 13 people to go on this trip:)
 
Jodi: Jodi got  sucked into this trip bc she is Stephanie's best friend. She is not a runner and did not know another person going (okay she knew me but not well). I was worried that she was going to have a horrible time not knowing anyone and not running but she was incredible. Jodi is a self made, always happy girl who goes with the flow and never complains but is also quite skilled at taking charge and making decisions when others can not make plans.  She got along great with everyone and it felt very much like she had known them her entire life. Jodi shares (and is much better at) my scrapbook passion and  was often our photographer on this trip.
 
Keith    Mr. Congeniality (no serious he was voted this in high school and there is no better way to describe him). He has the most infectious smile and you simply can not help but be happy around him.  Basically if you want to have a really good time and laugh like you have never laughed, you want to hang out with Keith. He is Mr. Speedy and rocked the race  ...BUT is directionally challenged in bathroom stalls. He loves loves loves running so it is only natural that I love love love talking to him about it. He is one of the Hendricks PT's as well. When I think of Keith I will forever think of "boom boom's.
 
Becky: Becky is part of the Hendricks crew who was going to Vegas at first and then wasn't going and then was going again days before we left. I was thrilled when I found out she was back in and we became instant texting buddies trying to decide the perfect Vegas wardrobe. She and I enjoyed many late nights together on this trip. Both Becky and I greatly dislike the monorail. She is fashionably beautiful girl (and looked amazing daily in her "out of my comfort zone" Vegas clothes) who made me laugh every time she worried that she was going to get in trouble b/c her boss was on this trip. Her boss is Jenny. There is no better boss than her! As I edit this a month later all I can say is that Becky ended up not knowing me at all and the hypocrisy of her false statements about me turns my stomach.

 
Shane and Jayda: Shane is the Hendricks PT (boss man) and Jayda is his wife. They have been together since the 8th grade. While I was often in the group hanging out with them I did not get to know them well on this trip. I already knew Shane from PT and I would describe him as slightly more serious but someone who is funny and entertaining when you get him going. Jayda I just have to describe as a little reserved but very charming with a beautiful kind smile. The 3 PT boys are partners in crime and even more entertaining when together.  Actually my very favorite Shane and Jayda moment of the trip was when Jayda finished the race and was hurting to the point of tears and Shane took one look at his wife who was about to cry and instantly got up and went over and embraced her in a way that just screamed 'I love THIS woman'
 
Carrie: Carrie is part of the Hendricks crew (are you seeing a theme yet). I would describe her as an  easy going and capable of handling anything kind of woman. She handles life's struggles with grace and patience and has an amazing ability to tie a scarf....haha. She seems like someone always up for adventure and not afraid to be bold and stand out. She was very excited for my tutu running outfit. She finds humor in everything even when her blood sugar is bottomed out and she thinks she is going down.
 
Eva and Neil: Eva is part of the Hendricks crew and Neil is her amazing husband. You would think this couple was married yesterday bc their affection for each other was obvious (they just celebrated 20 years). They both have the most soothing presence and are simply delightful! Personally I kept looking at Eva thinking she was one hip chick. She was beautiful with such a sense of style. Neil is an Aussie with an infectious accent that you could listen to for hours.
 
Pam: Pam is also part of the Hendricks crew. She is normally part of the running crew but had to sit this one out due to injury. Pam is colorful and outspoken but quick with a smile. She is a helper and always quick to react to the needs of others. Pam was a trooper bc she was often in pain but there to enjoy the ride and support her friends. I didn't get to talk to her much on this trip but look forward to getting to know her better.


Ry: Ry is my former PT at Hendricks. I think I was most surprised to find he was more of a loner than I had him pegged for. The other thing I learned is that this man can eat chicken wings freaky fast and he loves the word "delicious."   In short,PT is a confident, private,faithful family man with very strong convictions (almost as strong as mine) who seems to always know what he wants to do and deviates little from his plan. He thinks he is always right and I believe would be someone who has a hard time admitting he could ever be wrong:) He has a no man/woman left behind attitude (hence his willingness to keep going back outside to meet all the runners in our group and get them safely inside.) 

 
Last but not least ME:  highly motivational with boundless energy and a true passion for running, BUT most of all......HIGH MAINTENANCE (courtesy of Steph and Jenny)!
 
That, my friends, was the Vegas crew! Will add photos tomorrow and blog all week

about the trip. After midnight. Just got home. Have to work tomorrow. Must sleep. Happy dreams to all. 

P.S. I wrote this on the plane so sorry it looks weird.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment