So last night I was 90% sure I was going to cancel my sports med appointment. Today I decided that since my back did hurt while I slept and since canceling an appointment would require a phone call, I would just go. Besides I am big on if I took a spot that someone else could have had I should go and pay my amount. I was totally dreading it for all the reasons stated yesterday, but I got a nice surprise from Clark before I went. He called and said he could not go to his ACOG meetings all day b/c he had a laboring patient and so he called Dr. B's office and moved his appointment up so that we would go together. Never thought his having a laboring patient would work to my advantage. So it was set. We had a date at the doctor's office. I got to the Y (where my doc is located) early and had the pleasure of talking with my friend Jayda before Clark got there. Glad I ran into her b/c it reminded me that I still need to figure out an outfit for this weekend's Murder Mystery dinner.
So we get to the appointment and Clark totally makes me laugh when they call us back and he says, "what you want us to go in the same room." Ummmm... sweetheart.....last I checked we are married so YES we can go in the same room. I think you had to be there to realize how silly he sounded. Dr. B came in with a student (who seemed like a good guy....b/c he likes running too:) I want to start by saying I was so stupid to worry about anything. Dr. B did not for one second make me feel like he did not believe this pain or any other pain I have ever had. He was great. My pain was very localized and for once when he hit the spot it hurt. Usually I have to say, "you are on the spot but you pushing is not making it worse." So he believes that I have an SI facet strain. He thinks this flared up when I sat at the computer all those hours on NYE (the night my back pain started). He thinks running has just kept it flared a little but that it will likely get better. He gave me a steroid dose pack. During the exam he seemed more concerned with the fact that my right hip was extremely weak. I didn't even ask about my hip/thigh which always hurts in relation to running. He was amazed with the weakness on exam. Yep....I know....kind of sucks. He just kept saying we have to do something about getting that hip stronger. I was very sad to see he had the same facial expression as my former PT had when I told him that Dr. M released my ileopsoas tendon. It is kind of a look of horror. I sort of wish Dr. M had never done that and still don't really know why he did BUT assume he had his reasons. I guess I am just going to have to work harder to strengthen other muscles instead. Clark asked the important question of whether my weak right hip was causing my back pain. He said it sure could (down the road) but since this started recently after sitting at the computer he was hopeful it was more strain from that. Dr. B gave me a script for PT to help with "Left SI/facet strain, right hip flexion/ext weakness." He circled Avon and Danville b/c I will be seeing Shane and he works both. I told Dr. B that this was a huge running year for me and he kind of shakes his head and said he wishes me luck but that if my right thigh starts really acting up we will need to do a bone scan. I just replied that I am sure it will act up at some point BUT that broken or not (even if I am at risk for my leg falling off) I am running in that marathon in May. End of story!!
As for Clark and his extreme feet (well really heel) pain......basically it sucks b/c his pain is because he is old. He has bone spurs that have likely grown into the tendons and there really is not a ton of stuff he can do for it. He tried PT in the past and did not get a lot of relief from the tooling. He asked about a boot but Dr. B said that would help during an acute flair but to use now might make it worse. Basically he said we could have a lifetime supply of mobic (smiles b/c Clark and I are fans of mobic). He said Clark could actually take this long term as long as occasionally he took medication holidays and checked kidney functions every once in awhile. He talked about an MRI and that once this really stops him from doing what he wants, it may be time to consider surgery. Surgery he said would require some time off (to which I replied "like a couple days."). He laughed and kind of shook his head. Clark won't even consider something like this anytime soon b/c he is running the mini with me and doing another bike ride with his friends in August (this time in Colorado). After that he may consider the surgery. Dr. B said he would send him to Dr. Porter at Methodist. Dr. Porter is who takes care of my best friend, Jaime. So once Clark needs to start running for mini he will start daily mobic
After our appointment we went to Friday's for lunch. It was just so nice to sit and talk. It was such a nice surprise to have him available on a Wednesday. After lunch he even picked up the kids so I could go to the store in peace. His laboring patient that kept him in the city all day is still laboring. Taking forever!!!!! I now have to drag the kids out to Zionsville for the second time tonight to pick up Alexis b/c he could have to leave at any moment.
Day 3 of my marathon training went well. I ran 5 miles on the T-mill. Still harder than the gym but easier than my 3 last night. I did find it a little distracting that my 4 boys were playing hockey all around me while I was running. Tonight I covered the panel of the treadmill and allowed myself to look at the distance only during commercial breaks. Really dreading the thought of 8 miles on there Friday. If it is not raining or snowing I will be doing that run outside.
Alright...gonna be late. Gotta go. Cheers!!
No comments:
Post a Comment