Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Not All Created Equal

Tonight I am struggling!! One thing I know for sure is that not ALL treadmills are created equal. Tonight was was work out number one of marathon training (I thought it was Sunday but no Monday was the start and that was a rest day). All I had to do was 3 miles on the treadmill. Simple....right? 3 little miles. How hard could that be?? Let me tell you, it was HARD. My home treadmill does not feel at all like the treadmill at the YMCA. Going what should be the same speed as the gym treadmill seemed a million times harder. I ended up having to go slower. I also tried to put it on elevation of 0.5 (like I do at the gym b/c I have been told that is more similar to road racing) but it was too steep. Didn't like it. I also don't feel like I can breath in the basement. I did 4 miles on Sunday and had all the same feelings. It just seemed harder.
I have to wonder if my treadmill is really harder or just different and need to get used to it. I also think that at the gym I have Pandora music on (normally to Katie Perry radio) and I am focused. Totally focused on running. I look straight ahead for the most part and get lost in the music (all fast paced). When I run at home I watch TV. No music to block out my breathing. No fast beat to keep up with. For me it must make a huge difference. For 3 miles I watched the treadmill distance change with every tenth of a mile. It felt like it was going so slow (the time...I knew I was going slow). At the gym no matter how many miles I am doing, my last mile I have a little fun and increase the speed up one hit every tenth of a mile until I am done. It is my favorite part of the work out and the part that kills my legs every time. The mile flies by and I just LOVE that feeling of speed at the end. I could not do this tonight on my treadmill. My legs just would not go. It was like I was out for a Sunday drive but on the treadmill.

I will say that I think my treadmill is bouncier. When I get off I still feel like I am bouncing. Hopefully that is better for my legs. So right now I hate it but I am going to force myself to love it b/c I have decided that I am training at home for this marathon. I just need a break from the gym. Not a happy place for me anymore. So if the weather is not horrible (like today) I will attempt to run outside. Otherwise, I will run in my basement and try and figure out how to better focus. I think if just a short run I need to listen to music and not watch TV. When I get up in the miles I may have to watch TV but then my runs should be slower. Will give it a try and see how it works out. I will still have to go to gym on cross days and either swim or bike. I guess I do have the elliptical at home but I prefer the bike if really want to give my hip/thigh a break. The other thing is that I have to make sure Clark lets me leave the treadmill down (open I guess). When he folds it up, I simply can't move it. It is the dumbest thing that it really doesn't roll. Not something with my back that I plan on doing daily.
Speaking of my back.... I have my appointment with Dr. B tomorrow. Thinking I should just cancel b/c now that (until tonight) I had 4 days off running it is really not hurting. I should have made my appointment for a Friday after a long run. 90% sure I will just cancel first thing in the morning. If my night is bad or things hurt now that I ran again will keep it b/c I would still like to ask about the bone density scan. I just don't want to go in there not hurting as bad as I was last week and wonder if he was one of the people who thinks I make up injuries. Last week my back hurt worse. Also figure I could just go to Dr. M if I really needed to b/c I know he has no doubt about my pain and in fact thinks I am a pretty determined and stubborn runner despite any known and proven injuries.
Clark still has his appointment with Dr. B tomorrow. Anxious to see if he had any advice for his feet pain.

Oh almost totally forgot. Guess what I got in the mail today...............
OK darn I can't get this picture to turn the correct way no matter what I do. You get the idea. It is a runner girl to hang medals on. I love it!! I can't wait until Clark hangs it up and I can put all my current medals on it. I also can't wait to get new ones this year to add to it. Very happy with this purchase. I also got Clark one that is a runner boy. I got Alexis one for gymnastics as well. Super cute.

Alright enough already.....time for bed:) If you ever wondered what my favorite sleeping night of the week is......it is TUESDAY. Best night of sleep I get all week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment