You know that tiny bit of worrying I was doing about this mysterious back pain that really started to bother me yesterday???? Yeah...well.....my hope that I would just wake up this morning and poof it would be gone....did not really work out so well. It is not worse!!! It is just not any better. I iced last night. I iced again earlier. I will ice again later. I took mobic. Didn't notice a change although maybe I didn't notice it as worse b/c it was helping. It is just one spot on my left lower back. No radiation down my butt or leg. Doesn't really hurt to sit. Really when I feel it the most is walking (haven't tried running). Feel it on the stairs. Almost feel like if I keep walking it gets better. Only hurts when I put my left foot down. I can lean all the way over and touch my toes. No pain. I feel it when I lean back and when I stand on my left foot and lean back. Can lean to the both sides okay. I can jump up and down on both feet fine. Feel it if jump on left foot. Feel my good old right femur pain a lot more when jump on right foot:). Feel it with the straight leg test but not enough that I would call that positive. Actually feel it more now that I am back at the computer after lying on the floor doing that test. I hope you all can just imagine me sitting here doing my own version of a back exam on myself while typing this. Finally....my piss poor posture is actually doing me some good b/c if I crunch over....it feels better. Who knew something I hate about my looks (my poor posture and hunched over shoulders) would help me out one day.
I knew it was only a matter of time for my next injury but I gotta admit I really thought I would make it past Jan 6th. Come on..... why can't I catch a break? Do you get the feeling that someone greater than me does NOT want me to be a runner. I just wrote my running goals for the year. I plan on making most of those goals. I did not see back pain anywhere in that list. Not part of the plan. Not part of MY plan anyhow.
So....It seems I might need my NEW physical therapist sooner than anticipated. I knew this post was coming at some point but thought it would be several months into the year. I have actually already introduced my new PT on this blog before. His name is Shane and he (and his beautiful wife) went on our Vegas running trip. I had taken down those posts but put them back up a few days ago. You can find my description of him under the Who's Who post. I am not going to lie I was initially not happy about this change. I will forever feel I deserve an apology from a few people who wrongly judged me. Clark gave me the option to to leave Hendricks PT and pay more and go elsewhere. I thought about it. In the end I still love Hendricks, and I still have a ton of friends there. I went through several days of actually hating the place and thinking their motto of "treat people better" was a load of shit. Then I decided that attitude was getting me nowhere but angry all the time. So I put my anger aside and remembered all the things I love about the hospital my husband works for. There are still a lot of people that I love that work there (the first and most important being my own husband...hahaha). Then there is Jenny Bates and you all know how I feel about her. The list goes on and on from there. Wonderful people and a great place to be a patient. The truth is that for the last 2 years none of my running goals would have been met without the help of my former PT who did a good job of keeping me together with duct tape and chicken wire.
So who's better than my former PT?????? Well..........the very person who in his own words, "taught him (my former PT) everything he knows." I think I will be in good hands:) He is the head of the PT department so I guess in some sense I moved right to the top of the ladder. How I got there is not important....hahahaha! Clark and I recently sent my neighbor (and GREAT friend) to see Shane for her back.. She adores him and so I guess since he passed the friend test.... I will too:)
Will see how this back thing plays out over the rest of the weekend. Then come Monday, if still in pain, I will make an appointment with Booher (sports med who has seen me more times that he probably cares to). Then I have a feeling I will have my first encounter with Shane as a patient instead of just a friend.
Shane and his wife Jayda!
I was just imagining you doing your own lumbar exam - hilarious!!! I have done that many times trying to diagnose my ailments. Keep your spirits up...you'll be running again in no time!
ReplyDeleteThanks Keith. I am actually feeling better today (not 100% but better) so that is a good sign. I was going to go to gym to cross train but opted for movie this afternoon with Jenny and hopefully Stephanie as well:) Will try elliptical at home tonight and hope to be back on my running schedule by Tuesday. Monday is always a rest day since such a long work day and on call every Monday. Hope your running is going well.
ReplyDelete